Tips to be more ecological at home
Publicado: 17 January, 2020 - Actualizado: 20 May, 2021 | 2'
We are often concerned by environmental problems that happen on the planet and even in our country but which are far from the city where we live.
Fires of vegetation, deforestation, pollution of seas and rivers, animal deaths, all overwhelm us and make us feel that we are unable to act.
Therefore, we provide here a list of actions that we can take in favour of your environment, starting at home, at work, in the community and in the country, and thus we will be helping the whole planet.
How to be more ecological in your daily life.
- Have our own water bottle, and fill it up before leaving home. This avoids buying bottled water.
- Reduce the use of plastics, especially single-use plastics such as straws, forks, knives and plates.
- Stop smoking, which is good for your health and the health of the planet. Tobacco farming requires water and resources, and only produces cigars, which do not feed but cause disease.
- Help support the work of environmental organizations and conservation groups. This support can be financial, material, or simply by promoting their activities and projects in order to become the spokesperson for good actions for the environment.
How to be more ecological at home.
- Reduce the amount of waste we generate. We should try to buy only what we really need, and so avoid buying unnecessary things, as well as food that will be thrown away.
- Reusing, means we can use different items before discarding them. One example is glass containers.
- Recycling is a very important task in order to turn rubbish into raw material for processing and thus avoid getting more resources from nature. Make arrangements at home, and take them regularly to recycling points in your community.
- Prepare a small compost at home, using vegetable and fruit leftovers. Recycling organic material will give you humus (organic fertilizer) for your plants.
- Reduce the intake of red meat. You can start with "Vegetarian Monday", an initiative that many people share all over the world.
How to be more ecological in community.
- Sowing and caring for plants and trees in our community.
- Walk more or use your bike. Even when the prices of fuel are decreased, if you want to contribute to the planet these activities help to fight climate change and also bring benefits to your health.
- Learning about the environmental problems in your community, region or country and taking part in discussions and actions to solve them.
How to make a more ecological purchase.
- Avoid single-use plastic bags and choose cloth shopping bags.
- Buy goods with biodegradable or reusable packaging.
- Do not buy fruit or vegetables that are packaged or wrapped in plastic. They are more expensive and polluting.
- Do not buy clothing or accessories made from the skin, bones, or horns of wild animals.
How to be more environmentally responsible at work.
- Have our cup for tea or coffee in the office, and avoid buying plastic cups.
- Turn off the computer when leaving home or work.
- Unplug electrical equipment (microwaves, mobile phone chargers) while they are not in use.
- We hope that these recommendations will help you to become actively involved as an eco-citizen.
Thank you very much on behalf of the planet.
Alejandro Luy. Biologist with a Masters Degree in Environmental Management and General Manager of Fundación Tierra Viva. Tierra Viva Foundation is a Venezuelan NGO that since 1996 has carried out six multiannual projects with financing from the European Union, which are part of three areas of work: Socioenvironmental Management, Products with History, We are Biodiversity, Communication for Sustainable Development.