Protect your skin from the cold
PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM THE COLD
When cold weather arrives, it is necessary to take extra care of our skin. Our skin is the largest body organ, protects us both from external aggression and inner water loss. Neglecting certain basic principles may damage it, which is a problem when we take into consideration that skin is not important from the point of view of beauty but also in relation to health. Our skin is a vital organ that prevents foreign microorganisms and substances from entering our body.
Weather conditions in winter, with cold, wind and humidity contribute to making our skin drier. It is therefore very important to apply products that re-moisturize it. Hands and face are the most sensitive parts during the cold season. In this period, heaters emit substances that cause skin cells to die and heating systems in general make skin lose its natural moisture. In addition to that, going from indoor heated spaces into the open air dehydrates skin, becoming less elastic. In that part of the year we put on more clothes, which makes it more difficult for skin to breathe and get rid of dead cells.
GENERAL TIPS TO PROTECT SKIN IN COLD WEATHER
- Drink at least 2 litres water a day: moisturization begins from the inside out.
- Avoid using very cold/very hot water when showering.This traumatizes skin and could cause capillaries to break. Use tepid water.
- Set heating at a reasonable temperature, around 20º C.
- Keep skin hydrated by applying daily a moisturizing product in the form of cream or soap. Do not forget to apply moisturizing cream to hands. It can be the same as for body and face. Our hands are the part of our body that is the most exposed to weather. For this reason they must be protected twice as much.
- Eat fresh fruit in season, if possible with skin, as it is here where they store more vitamins.
- Apart from the cold, wind is another factor affecting our skin. In this part of the year, the wind increases skin dehydration. For this reason it is important to moisturize it.