Ginseng: Restores and enhances your well-being
Did you know that Ginseng is associated with good physical condition?
The concept ‘physical condition’ is aimed at well-being. This concept is interpreted as the state or ability to vigorously carry out everyday activities and with low risk of suffering premature diseases like: hypertension, diabetes, obesity or erectile dysfunction. The well-being generated by "physical condition" involves adequate cardiac, respiratory, immune, metabolic, brain and body functions
Some situations that can alter your physical condition are: fatigue, stress, sport, sleeplessness, overweight, growth and ageing, among many others. Exhausting or stressful situations lead us to higher demands for nutrients and, if not covered, our diet can be supplemented with food supplements like Ginseng. The content of saponins, polyunsaturated fatty acids, essential amino acids, complex sugars (polysaccharides) and vitamins supports antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant and metabolism-regulating activities2,6.
Ginseng is an ally to promote the complete wellness1 of your body because it helps improve the use of energy and avoid the appearance of fatigue, as well as maintain the normal flow of cognitive, cardiovascular, sexual and muscle functions10.
What is Ginseng?
Ginseng is a plant and is known by its botanical name Panax ginseng. This plant has been used in eastern Asia for centuries. It is used as a tonic and repairing ingredient to promote health and longevity. Its use has been divided traditionally into two categories:
- Short-term: to improve endurance and concentration. In addition, Ginseng contributes to healing processes, stress resistance, vigilance and efficacy in the work of healthy individuals4.
- Long-term: it helps improve well-being under degenerative and weak conditions, especially those associated with old age7.
The word Panax means "all-healing" in Greek. The root of ginseng is known as Korean ginseng and as the lord or king of herbs9, as it has got a human form. There are other types of ginseng, such as American and Indian.
What are the properties of Ginseng?
It is considered a tonic with adaptogen, stimulant and aphrodisiac properties5. Furthermore, it is present in monographs in the pharmacopoeias from China, United Kingdom, Germany, USP-NF, or Europe, among others.
The EMA (European Medicines Agency, 2008) defines the term ‘adaptogen’ as a metabolic regulator. An adaptogen increases the capacity of organisms to adapt to environmental factors, thus avoiding any damage that might occur.
How does Ginseng work?
The active ingredients of Korean ginseng are saponins (ginsenosides), fatty acids, polysaccharides, amino acids, polyacetylene alcohols, vitamins, some minerals and enzymes. Ginseng polysaccharides, especially Ginsan, have shown immunostimulant activity6,8.
Ginsenosides are responsible for most of the activities of this plant. They are classified according to the structure of their saponins3,8 into two groups:
- Panaxadiol: exerts neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity.
- Panaxatriol: Actúa como modulador del crecimiento y metabolismo de células y de tejidos.
Traditionally recognised benefits of Ginseng
- Ginseng contributes positively to mental performance and the cognitive function (memory, verbal fluency), due to its activity in the central nervous system.
- Relieves fatigue and stress.
- The immunostimulant activity of its active ingredients contributes to maintaining a normal immune function.
- Ginseng has got antioxidant capacity.
- Contributes to normal blood glucose levels. This favours the correct flow of metabolism, physical performance (coordination and fatigue resistance) and cardiovascular wellness.
- Contributes to normal sexual function and enhances erection quality.
MARNYS® Ginseng: Quality guarantee
MARNYS® — Martínez Nieto S.A. counts on one of the most technologically advanced laboratories in the sector in Spain and Europe, equipped with the best technical equipment and professional teams to guarantee the consumer the best quality and efficiency in its products.
MARNYS® — Martínez Nieto S.A. works with the most demanding suppliers in order to ensure that they comply with the very high levels of quality required.
4-star Ginseng with minimum Saponin content (Ginsenosides RG1) guaranteed
The monographs (detailed studies) of European Pharmacopoeia guarantee the quality of ingredients. MARNYS® Korean Ginseng meets criteria as demanding as those marked by such monographs to ensure quality, and MARNYS® demands a minimum content of 20% ginsenosides.
4-STAR GINSENG: MARNYS® PRODUCTS
MARNYS® GINSENG WITH ROYAL JELLY AND GUARANA
With Royal Jelly
- Choi, K. T. Botanical characteristics, pharmacological effects and medicinal components of Korean Panax ginseng C A Meyer. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2008
- Hou, C.-W. et al. Improved Inflammatory Balance of Human Skeletal Muscle during Exercise after Supplementations of the Ginseng-Based Steroid Rg1. PLoS One. 2015
- Kennedy, D. O. et al. Ginseng: potential for the enhancement of cognitive performance and mood. Pharmacol Biochem Behav, 2003
- Kiefer, D. et al. Panax ginseng. Am Fam Physician, 2003
- Kitts, D. et al. Efficacy and safety of ginseng. Public Health Nutr, 2000
- Lü, J. M. et al. Ginseng compounds: an update on their molecular mechanisms and medical applications. Curr Vasc Pharmacol, 2009
- Nocerino, E. et al. The aphrodisiac and adaptogenic properties of ginseng. Fitoterapia, 2000
- Ru, W. et al. Chemical constituents and bioactivities of Panax ginseng (C. A. Mey.). Drug Discov Ther, 2015
- Yun, T. K. Brief introduction of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer. J Korean Med Sci, 2001
- EFSA ON HOLD
- Hellhammer, J. et al. Effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) on the endocrine and psychological responses to mental stress. Stress, 2004