Get the perfect tan: 3 oils that are a must in your summer basics
Published: 11 June, 2020 - Updated: 5 September, 2023 | 3'
With good weather comes the desire to relax and enjoy the outdoors, the beach or the pool and, above all, to show off a tan.
UV rays from the sun (ultraviolet radiation) are the main aggressors that can cause premature skin aging, so it is vitally important to be aware of them, especially in spring and summer, when the skin is most exposed. Even though they help our bodies produce vitamin D, too great an exposure can damage the skin.
For this reason, if your objective is to look beautifully golden, you should pay special attention to the prior care of your skin, but also when sunbathing by protecting it from the sun’s rays or UVA rays so as not to suffer burns.
For this it is important to use appropriate products that maintain the skin’s good condition and help achieve a uniform tan, always ensuring proper hydration.
Tricks for a natural and healthy tan
- Pay attention to your diet. Foods with a high content of carotenes stimulate the creation of melanin in our skin, which is responsible for tanning. Some of these are carrot, pumpkin, apricot, spinach, red pepper, mango or chard. In addition, other fruits rich in vitamin C, such as kiwis, oranges and lemons, help reduce the damage caused by free radicals related to skin aging.
- Prepare your skin for a tan. Before exposing your skin to the sun, it is ideal to do an exfoliation that removes any impurities and dead cells, so that your skin is smoother and more evenly colored.
A body exfoliant can be prepared at home by mixing sugar with some vegetable oil such as MARNYS® Sweet Almond Oil. Apply this mixture all over the body with soft circular movements and rinse with warm water. This oil provides a high supply of Omega 9 fatty acid that helps improve the skin’s appearance, giving it an extremely soft texture.
- Protect yourself properly from the sun’s rays. At least half an hour before exposing yourself to the sun, apply a cream with a high SPF (sun protection factor) all over your body and use a specific one for your face. Sunscreens do not reduce the production of melanin in the skin, so your skin will tan in the same way, only without suffering burns and getting a more natural and healthy tone.
- Keep your skin hydrated and enhance your tan. Moisturizing your skin daily is something you should never skip, especially after sun exposure, as the skin can become more dry than usual.
To keep the skin in perfect condition, we suggest two oils that should not be missing from your daily routine if you want to keep your skin properly hydrated and make your tan more beautiful for longer.
MARNYS® Carrot Oil is the ideal complement to maintain an “eternal tan” appearance and tone during summer.
This oil, to be used after sun exposure, is specially recommended to keep a toned skin protected from oxidative damage. It acts as a rejuvenator, maintaining the elasticity and hydration of the skin and stimulating the cutaneous microcirculation and fighting against aging.
MARNYS® Carrot Oil is perfect to get a tanned appearance of the skin and also to keep it longer.
It is a 100% vegetable body oil, perfect for dry or very dry skin, combining Carrot Vegetable Oil extracted from the seed and root, with Sweet Almond, Sunflower, Geranium, Wheat Germ, Rosemary, Orange and Lemon oils.
MARNYS® Coconut Oil is specially recommended for skin care after sun exposure and as an intense body moisturizer for daily nutrition and hydration, not only in summer but all year round.
It is a 100% vegetable oil for cosmetic use, both for skin and hair, providing them with hydration, softness and care. In addition, it promotes the repair of the skin’s natural barrier, especially against the sun’s rays, increasing its hydration, thanks to its preserving and emollient properties. It is also suitable for sensitive skin and does not clog the skin pores (non-comedogenic).
Among its various uses, coconut oil can be applied both before and after exposure to the sun:
- Natural tanning: before sunbathing, exfoliate your skin and apply the cream all over your body, always in combination with your sunscreen as the oil does not contain a protection factor.
- Natural aftersun: nourishes and softens the skin after sun exposure.